Sunday, October 4, 2009

Pickin' and Eatin'


This was the first year our apple tree really produced! It has been funny watching Elias pick and attempt to eat an apple every time we are in the backyard. They are very tart, but it doesn't seem to stop the boys from taking a few bites.


During Eli's nap, Corbin and I went out and picked some apples. I have been cutting some up to use for crisps or pies. It is a lot of work to cut all those small apples. I was ready to just leave the apples on the tree until a friend told me how she makes her applesauce using a colander. So much easier! I can easily make a batch in a half hour (a little longer with the boys "helping" me). I have made 3 batches so far and still have apples to use up.


Too bad the boys really aren't big fans of applesauce. I think they still have it in their minds that it is baby food.

I have found it is the perfect dessert! Just warm it in the microwave and it is so yummy!

I have also been using up the other produce I have been given. I have broccoli to freeze, tomatoes to make into pizza sauce and salsa, lots of green peppers to freeze and carrots and cucumbers to eat fresh! I really do understand why this time of year is so busy for everyone. It has kept me hopping!

(I am very excited to post pictures of all the canning and freezing I have done....just haven't had the time.)

No comments: