Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Traumatic Morning!

I don't have any pictures of the event, but lots to tell!

Joel let me sleep in a bit this morning, so he was watching Corbin. Joel was on the phone and Corbin decided to "play" on the computer. (Usually when Corbin "plays" on the computer we end up having to call the computer guy or at least do a full shut-down and restart!) So, Joel quickly put down his coffee mug (with a lid) and got Corbin away from the computer and checked to make sure he didn't press anything that would ruin it. In that second (1 year olds move fast), Corbin decided to take a sip of Joel's coffee and spilled it down his entire front! All I hear is Corbin screaming (didn't worry too much, happens everyday) and Joel yelling at me that he needs me in there right away (did worry, doesn't happen everyday)! Joel took off Corbin's shirt and his chest was bright red! (We didn't realize that he also got his lips until later.) So, in the shower he went, diaper and all (and me in my pj's). Corbin was still crying, but probably because we were panicking. After a few minutes in the cool water, Corbin was fine. He looked at me like I was nuts when he still had his socks on in the water...he tried to pull them off! He was laughing and splashing water on his belly! (What a sport!) We called the clinic to see if we should bring him in and they said yes. We got him dressed and noticed that his lips were pretty red so we had him suck on a cold, wet washcloth and also put a cool, wet paper towel on his chest (drove him nuts) and went to the clinic (1 block away). We got his shirt off and all the redness was gone. He just has a little blister on his upper lip that we need to put some chap stick on every once in a while (he puts it on himself and thinks he's great)!!! The nurse was pretty impressed that he wasn't burned! The doctor gave him a sucker and sent us home! He has been a super happy little boy ever since!

Talk about a miracle! All I could think at first was how bad is it going to scar! And now...it's just a tiny little blister on his upper lip that will be gone before we know it! Thank you, God!!! Makes you think about how fast things can happen, though! What a blessing that it was so minor!

3 comments:

CJ Olson said...

Wow....that's So scary!! I don't know what I would have done! Glad that Corbin is doing okay! :-)

Kari, RN said...

Wow, so glad that everything is okay! I've seen a couple of scary burns on kids, and what a blessing that he'll be just fine!!

Dan and Christine Lawson said...

This was hilarious!!! I can just picture it all happening while you were telling it. I am so glad that Corbin wasn't hurt and that all ended well. It will be a great story for the ages though.